Welcome to Cranky Puppy Farm!

This blog belongs to two Gen X-er's smackdab in downtown Kansas City where we've been renovating and decorating two old Victorians built in the 1890's. Our life is filled with 3 demanding Pomeranians (1 of them cranky, of course), honking cars, noisy neighbors and the hustle and bustle of city life but we dream of the day when we can move to our 40-acre farm and hear nothing but the wind and the cows next door. Until then, we're chronicling our triumphs and mishaps here as we try to garden and preserve on 2 city lots, raise chickens, and learn all those things we should have learned from our grandparents. Welcome to our world - we hope you'll stay awhile!

Update on the Tomatoes and a Feature

Friday, April 05, 2013

I'm officially calling it the Tomato Disaster of 2013.
 
 
This is how my poor little grafted tomato plants look after being dropped a couple of days ago.  As you can see, the one in the middle of the back row is in particularly bad shape.  But they are hanging in there.

So now I'm stuck.  I need to get the plants that were fine and have healed grafts into more sun and hardened off, but I'm afraid that exposing the newly grafted plants will kill them.  What should I do??

(BTW, I didn't mention this before, but I'm actually using a plastic cake cover\carrier as my healing chamber for these.  It keeps the humidity in nicely and the cover is easy to remove if I need access (like to take pictures!)

I've been featured!
 
Black Fox HomesteadAlso, I want to give a big thanks to Jenny and Lisa over at Black Fox Homestead for featuring my post on tomato grafting. I'm honored (and really happy) that she found it interesting and I hope you did too!

They have all kinds of interesting entries in their weekly family-friendly Home Acre Hop.  I'm talking topics like homesteading, caring for livestock, gardening, recipes, homeschooling, food preservation, crafts, etc.  You know, the cool stuff.

So I highly recommend you check it out when you have a sec.

It's 70 degrees outside and sunny and I am just off work for the day.  Time for me to get a tasty beverage and head for the backyard.  Hope you're having a wonderful day!





 

4 comments:

  1. I saw you over there! we sponsored the latest giveaway! I hate it when I kill seedlings!!!
    I would think that a little sun would be good for them. It looks like you can't hurt em much at this point right?

    Enjoyed you feature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get Black Fox in my inbox, I must have not read it closely this morning to see you were featured... COOL.

    You did a number on the darn tomatoes, didn't you. Do you put them under light at all?

    I just can't get everything done, so no, I'm skipping the slow food expo tomorrow... I just can't be everywhere, and the grands have soccer. Then it's home to spread another 20 bags of dirt. YES, someone suggested buying a load of dirt, but you never know what you are getting, and K just won't do it.

    I'm hurrying to get things done before it rains next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found a great source for topsoil - at dirt cheap prices. The guy's name is Matt and he runs a garage door business but sells topsoil that he gathers near a creek on his 90 acre farm in Smithville. I ended up with seven cubic yards of dirt (a decent pile) for $175.

    The average is $25-30 per cubic yard PLUS delivery fee of $50-$100. So essentially I got it delivered for free. It looks light and rich. It is a great starter, but may need amendments, you never know. He only deals in cash. 816-447-4234

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't feel too bad, when I took a grafting class a couple of years ago I jumped the gun and planted them outside. A couple got not quite frost bit, but two days after that, the local varmints nibbled them to the ground. I was sooo bummed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...